join Modified Car Forums on FacebookModified Car Forums on Youtube
FAQ Members List Timeslips Arcade Games Conversion Calculators Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Modified Car Forums, an online Modified Car enthusiasts community with other like minded people who WON'T bash you for spending your hard earned $ on your pride and joy!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to

• post topics
  • private message other members (PM)
  • respond to polls
  • this message will no longer be displayed once you register.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Modified Car Forums Support Team.

Go Back   Modified Car Forums > Public Forums > Blog Entries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
simpson
MCF Admin

Ride: FAT406
Default MCF Feature Car 1988 Vl Walkinshaw "WA11KI"

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

Love them or hate them the 1988 VL Group A Walkinshaw is a part of Australian motoring history, the group A replaced the existing Holden VL Commodore SS Group A (which had been developed by Peter Brock’s HDT Special Vehicles company} as Holden’s Group A race car. With so much use of plastic in the massive bodykit, the Walkinshaw was soon picking up quite a few nick names - “Plastic Pig”, “Winged Warrior” and “Plastic Fantastic” to name a few. Other, less derogatory nicknames included the “Walkinshaw” and the most common of all, “Walky” (after TWR’s chief Tom Walkinshaw).

18 years ago Paul Howard walked into a dealership looking to purchase a Porche 930 turbo but it turned out to be a “piece of crap”. Driving past the Suttons dealership in Wiatara Paul spotted 3 Walkinshaw’s sitting in their show room, after a few friendly negotiations on the Group A that only had 3000k’s on the clock. Paul was the new owner of long lasting obsession. Over the past 18 years this Walky has been put throught it paces but never ever treated without respect. She has spent many a lap around race track all around the country also spending quiet a few laps on the hill climb circuits. Paul has decided to give her a rest from the racing duties and just enjoy cruising the car on the street and taking it to the occasional show and shine.

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

The Walkinshaw’s power plant was the first of the Fuel injected models to come from Holden. “Power Destined for Glory” was just one of the catch phrases that HSV used to promote this new breed of what they where calling a de-tuned version of the Group A race car. These cars were the first of a long lasting line of performance but yet still comfortable cars being produced by HSV. The Walkinshaws were not a pure race car unlike other models previously brought out by HDT, they had air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, 4 speaker stereo system and a security system. Even with all these luxury extra the Walky was advertised as being able to propel its self in standard format from 0 to 100 k’s in 6.5 seconds with amazing highway fuel economy of just an advertised 9.2 liters/100km.

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

Paul’s Group A Walkinshaw specifications have well exceeded what TWR and Tom Walkinshaw could have ever dreamt up back in 1988. Residing between the strut towers now is a full house 355 COME Stroker with COME alloy SST heads, Group A Twin throttle body intake manifold, 42lbs Bosch Racing injectors all controlled by a Haltec E6GMX this combo produces 380 asphalt destroying horse power. All that power is transfer through what Paul describes as an indestructable Tremec TKO600 5 speed with a custom made Extreme ceramic single plate clutch. Turning those beautiful 19” FR19 Simmons is a Borge Warner Turbo Walkinshaw diff running a limited slip center with 3.7:1 ratio gears. As you can imagine this combo propels this sweet looking Walky into warp speed with just so much as a touch of the loud pedal.

…I circuit raced the car for about 4 years with the Australian Racing Drivers Club. We raced at Amaroo Park, Oran Park and a couple of rounds at Eastern Creek when it first opened until Ii put it into the wall..

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper
You put it into a wall ? “Yeah i was at a race day at Oran park probably traveling at about 100 ish k’s in second gear came into a corner a little hot and locked up the brakes put the rear quarter into the wall the the bugger spun around and just touched the front aswell. That day ended up as an expensive exercise”.

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

.. I have always enjoyed driving the car i’m not one to leave it in the shed and never get out and have some fun in it..

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

“I’ve taken the car to the Nats a couple of times taking full advantage of some secret little hidding places i have in the car.”

1280 OR 1600 Wallpaper

What’s Next? “I have been thinking about supercharging it lately but I am having to much fun with this combo as it is only 3000k’s old. So I might just open up the heads a little and try and crack the 450’s at the wheels”.

Quick Specs
Paul Howard
1988 Holden VL Group A Walkinshaw Built Number 95
Colour : Panarama Silver (Original Colour)

ENGINE

Make : 304 stroked to 355
Induction: Twin Throttle body Walkinshaw EFI
Heads :
Come SST Alloy
Ignition :
MSD Coil, Haltec E6GMX Computer
Exhaust : Stainless Steel Twin 2.5” into a single 3” at rear
Crank : COME 355
Comp : 10.5 to 1
Cooling : VY 2 Speed Fan with Custom Dessert Cooler radiator
Power : 550 Fly Wheel HP and 380 rear Wheel HP
Performance : Not run the quater yet

TRANSMISSION

Gearbox : Tremac TKO600 manual
Clutch :
Custom Extreme Ceramic Single Palte
Diff : Borge Warner Turbo Walkinshaw 3.7:1 ratio LSD

SUSPENSION & BRAKES

Shocks & Springs : Blistein and Kings
Brakes : VY Clubsport Twin Spot Callipers and Slotted Rotors
INTERIOR
Seats : Standard Group A Walkinshaw
Instruments : Autometer and Stock
Dash : Stock

RUBBER & RIMS

Tyres : Rear - 19 * 8” Front - 19 * 8”
Wheels : Simmons FR19’s

THANKS
Geforce Engines, Kings Auto Electric, and most of all my wife Jacquie and my kids Elizah and Ewan, Chris Bale Automotive Toronto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aj510; 28-03-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Old 24-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
cycov8
MCF Super Mod

Ride: ford cortina

sweet ride dude have seen it out and about well done

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
TUF-GMH
........brooooooooom........

Ride: vs commodore bt1
Send a message via MSN to TUF-GMH

have seen this car at a few shows and i love it

Old 24-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
wld77
Learner Driver

Ride: lx torana hatchback
Default top ride

very very nice. ive seen it at a few shows and its the neatest and detailed walkie ive seen.
Old 25-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
castlegreyskull
Learner Driver

Ride: Ford Fairlane 5.0L
Send a message via MSN to castlegreyskull

Not bad, good location too

LANE POWER

Old 25-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
v8capri8
Provisional Driver

Ride: 1966 ford falcon

sweet ride mate good job on the build ,but aj and paul you guys are gonna have to stop coming to newcastle as thats 2 shoots now and both times it seems to have rained lol

Real cars are made with spanners not chopsticks
Old 25-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
355 VK
Premium Member

Support MCF Become a Premium Member

Ride: vk commodore 134,vr gts

the best looking commo built is the walky...very nice car congrats bloke well done
Old 25-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pro VL
Clutch Popper

Ride: Prostreet VL Calais, VE SSV, Prado.

Nice one,Awsome Walky Mate,
I nearly bought one of these before the calais, kicking myself now, considering how much they are worth and how much I've spent on my Calais.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
aj510
MCF Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegreyskull View Post
Not bad, good location too
haha yeah love that spot - use to go there all the time when I lived in Newcastle (especially in the wet )

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri8 View Post
sweet ride mate good job on the build ,but aj and paul you guys are gonna have to stop coming to newcastle as thats 2 shoots now and both times it seems to have rained lol
haha nah it wasn't raining, well there was a very light shower in the morning and a little when we left but nothing while we took pics / vids

Quote:
Peter Brock - bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell