join Modified Car Forums on FacebookModified Car Forums on Youtube
FAQ Members List Timeslips Arcade Games Conversion Calculators Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Modified Car Forums, an online Modified Car enthusiasts community with other like minded people who WON'T bash you for spending your hard earned $ on your pride and joy!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to

• post topics
  • private message other members (PM)
  • respond to polls
  • this message will no longer be displayed once you register.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Modified Car Forums Support Team.

Go Back   Modified Car Forums > Public Forums > Members Rides > Members Projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Naybour
Clutch Popper

Ride: Pro-Street 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
Default 1970 Chevelle Pro Street Build

Hey all
Thought I would put up my new project. Its a 1970 Chevelle with full tubs and 4 link with a 9". The plan for the car is a street registered 'Pro-Street' kind of car that I can take to events like Powercruise and Summernats etc for burnouts, powerskids and offstreet drags and the like. I am in the process of talking to an engineer, finding out what I can and can't do to the car to get it registered here in the ACT. The car came with no Motor or Box (was a blown 454 and T700) but the rest of the car is in really good nick. Body is very straight, vinyl roof is in good nick and I have only found 2 small chips in the paint. I'm not sure if it is an SS or not, keep forgetting to check the VIN. I really don't care if it is or not because of the mods

The car has had a bit of work so far, this is what it's currently got:

Colour: Silver with black stripes and Black Vinyl roof

Body: Standard SS with Full Tubbed rear end

Engine: None

Exhaust: Got some BBC headers...wooo

Gearbox: None

Diff: Full spool 9" with 4.88:1 gears
35 Spline axles
Strange case

Brakes: Stock power brakes
Disc Fronts
Drum rear (I think)

Suspension: 4 Link Rear end
Fully Adjustable QA1's

Wheels/Tyres: Centrelines
15*10 rears with 14" x 36" Goodyear Slicks
15*4 fronts with 4" x 26" M/T front runners

Interior: SS Bucket Seats (no back seat)
Simson 4 point harnesses
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Automoter Monster Tach
SS Dash
Button Start

Fuel System: Drop tank in boot (think its 100l)
Havent checked what type of pickup or pump yet

Stereo: None

Other: The car has 2 nitrous bottles and the lines but no solenoids etc.

Currently the plans for the car are fairly open, it really depends on engineering. What I was thinking of was a 540 Big Block engine with solid roller cam, Manualised Turbo 400 Trans with Transbrake. I obviously can't run the current tyres so will find out biggest I can go and might get new wheels and use the current ones for events. I will probably remove the Nitrous, although they look cool, its a bit wanky to leave them in the car if I don't plan on running Nitrous. I was thinking I could use the brackets etc for a fire supression system instead. I've been looking on the net and am thinking of maybe getting tilt steering, power windows and stuff like that but that is all low priority.

While trailering the car back to Melbourne, had heaps of people honking and giving the thumbs up so it seems to be more of a head turner than I thought it would, might just be the big tyres on the rear, who knows. I plan on taking as many photo's and posting updates when I can. I picked up a replacement bonnet on the way home from Melbourne and the cowl flapper is on the way so I can get it painted. I have already got a list of parts and stuff that I want to buy but I have to decide whats a "must have" and what is a "like to have".

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevelle-01.jpg (155.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Chevelle-02.jpg (153.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Chevelle-03.jpg (124.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Chevelle-04.jpg (74.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Chevelle-06.jpg (95.3 KB, 8 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Old 19-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
SK11TS
MCF Admin

Ride: v8 hilux / 2011 sportster

View My Photo Gallery

Bin Laden Liquors Champion! 3D Frogger Champion! Chuck Norris Champion! 1-i Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! aim and fire Champion! Attack Time Champion! 3D-Stereogram Tetris Champion! Bang adventure Champion! Chao fruit catch super hard Champion! Asteroids 2000 Champion! 3D-Stereogram Tetris Champion! Alkie Kong 2 Champion! Altex III Champion! Battle Pong Champion! Chicken and Eggs Champion! Chao fruit catch medium Champion! Armadillo Cowboy Club Champion! Batman's Gotham dark night Champion! Bricks Of Egypt 2 Champion! City Hunt Champion! Celebrity Hitman Terroist Alert Champion! Brighton Bounty Hunter Champion! Armada Assault Champion! Breakit Champion! Alpine Escape 2 Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Another non-African Safari Champion! Authority Shift Champion! Blix Man Catch Saddam Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman Champion! Bomby Bomy Champion! Bounce Back Champion! Bouncy n Bob Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Beeku Adventure Champion! Boat Hunt Champion! Chao fruit catch easy Champion! Chao fruit catch hard Champion! Blasterman Champion! Bomb Bandits Champion! Bomber Man Champion! Bungee Rescue Champion! Caray Snake Champion! Chavtris Champion! Cat Death Auto Champion! Car Park Chaos Champion! AutoMobil Champion! Beetle Buggin`: Novice Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Brum Brum Champion! Beetle Buggin`: Expert Champion! Carmageddon Champion! A-Blast Champion! Adrians Battle Bots Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Alien Dash Champion! Alien Booya Champion! Alien Missle Attack Champion! Alien Showdown Champion! Alien Under Fire Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Alien Terminator Champion! Asteroid Avalanche Champion! Claque Beignet Champion! Addiction Solitaire Champion! Air Strike Champion! Call of Duty 2 Champion! Against War Champion! Air Attack One Champion! Border Patrol Champion! Border 2 Champion!

very cool car mate will be great to see what you do with it

Ban Low Performance Drivers Not High Performance Cars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

REAL MEN SMOKE RUBBER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
RXV88U
Newby

Ride: 363 dart rx4

Good luck with it, looks tough even without a motor!
A stroked big block shouldn't be a problem to register in that model car. The biggest problem is probably the 4 link and tubs. Hopefully your engineer can sort you out.
Old 21-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Naybour
Clutch Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV88U View Post
Good luck with it, looks tough even without a motor!
A stroked big block shouldn't be a problem to register in that model car. The biggest problem is probably the 4 link and tubs. Hopefully your engineer can sort you out.
Yea I've been going through VSB14 and the ADRs to figure out what I can do. 540 should be OK but may be out of budget, still deciding on what to do.
Looking at the tubs and 4-link, it looks like it should be OK to engineer from what I have read so far. I've got a mate who does engineered rollcages and other metal working so if anything needs to be change I can get him to do it.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Naybour
Clutch Popper

Hey all, small update

Spoke to the engineer and all is good. Tubs and 4Link should be fine. I've chosen to go a 454 for the engine to avoid emmissions and all that other crap. I've sort of decided that streetability is no longer something I care about so going to go with rectangle port heads with 345cc runners, Super Victor manifold, 850 double pumper and a big hydraulic roller cam (probably something like 630lift 254 intake 268 exhaust 110-113 LSA). That as well as some good pistons, rods and 30thou overbore I'm hoping to get about 600-650hp at the flywheel.

There are a couple of small issues that I need to address, like the harnesses and the push button ignition but pretty much everything else is good to go.

Also, some stuff I have ordered has started to arrive. Got my Hurst pro-matic2 ratchet shifter as well as the cowl flap for my hood. Ended up going with the hurst because for rego I need an illuminated gear indicator, reverse lockout and neutral safety switch (only starts in Park or Neutral). I dummy mounted the stifter with some wood, I just have to find some time to make metal mounts and throw it in.

The gearbox has been ordered and am hoping it should be here this week. I'm expecting the engine to be done in the next 2 weeks aswell. Got some bits and pieces coming from the US as we speak.

Just trying to organise some wheels now. I want to get some M/T HR-1's in the 18"x15.5" & 18"x7" but I don't know if I can get it done. They're selling in the US for $250ea but M/T wont deal with me directly. Rocket are charging $1,800ea which is a total rip. I'm trying a M/T distributor in the US that will ship but their communication is terrible at best.

At least the car is sort of coming together now. Can't wait to get it on the road, I'm sick of driving boring cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevelle-11-shifter.jpg (156.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
SK11TS
MCF Admin

View My Photo Gallery

Bin Laden Liquors Champion! 3D Frogger Champion! Chuck Norris Champion! 1-i Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! aim and fire Champion! Attack Time Champion! 3D-Stereogram Tetris Champion! Bang adventure Champion! Chao fruit catch super hard Champion! Asteroids 2000 Champion! 3D-Stereogram Tetris Champion! Alkie Kong 2 Champion! Altex III Champion! Battle Pong Champion! Chicken and Eggs Champion! Chao fruit catch medium Champion! Armadillo Cowboy Club Champion! Batman's Gotham dark night Champion! Bricks Of Egypt 2 Champion! City Hunt Champion! Celebrity Hitman Terroist Alert Champion! Brighton Bounty Hunter Champion! Armada Assault Champion! Breakit Champion! Alpine Escape 2 Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Another non-African Safari Champion! Authority Shift Champion! Blix Man Catch Saddam Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman Champion! Bomby Bomy Champion! Bounce Back Champion! Bouncy n Bob Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Beeku Adventure Champion! Boat Hunt Champion! Chao fruit catch easy Champion! Chao fruit catch hard Champion! Blasterman Champion! Bomb Bandits Champion! Bomber Man Champion! Bungee Rescue Champion! Caray Snake Champion! Chavtris Champion! Cat Death Auto Champion! Car Park Chaos Champion! AutoMobil Champion! Beetle Buggin`: Novice Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Brum Brum Champion! Beetle Buggin`: Expert Champion! Carmageddon Champion! A-Blast Champion! Adrians Battle Bots Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Alien Dash Champion! Alien Booya Champion! Alien Missle Attack Champion! Alien Showdown Champion! Alien Under Fire Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Alien Terminator Champion! Asteroid Avalanche Champion! Claque Beignet Champion! Addiction Solitaire Champion! Air Strike Champion! Call of Duty 2 Champion! Against War Champion! Air Attack One Champion! Border Patrol Champion! Border 2 Champion!

awesome to hear that the plans are getting the thumbs up will be great to see your progress

REAL MEN SMOKE RUBBER

Old 13-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Naybour
Clutch Popper

Gearbox arrived today!!! I also have a package to be picked up from the post office so I am hoping that it is all the little bits and pieces from the US that I ordered. I spoke to Crow Cams and the cam will be delivered by wednesday at the latest. According to the scribble that I wrote on my had, the cam specs are .630 lift 254intake and 268exhaust, I forgot the LSA.

The engine should be done and ready to put in very soon...Cant Wait!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gearbox.jpg (193.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Naybour; 13-07-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 15-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
355DOA
Brake Slammer

Ride: VS GTS, Blown big block HX

Hey bud very cool car!! Good luck with getting it all done. You should look into getting a stroker kit for it if you can afford it 496 kits are pretty cheap. But very cool car!!
Old 19-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Naybour
Clutch Popper

Small Update:
The cam came this morning. Once that's in, the manifold & sump etc will be fitted and ready to go to get dynoed. I was originally going to dyno the engine once it is in the car but, after some discussion, decided it would be better to do it while its out of the car. Hopefully it can be dynoed dometime next week and I should have it the week after.

I have to decide on what I'm going to do with the steering. It currently has a power steering box on the car but the engine is without a pump. I have to decide whether to throw a pump on the motor or go a manual box. Having the pump will obviously use some power but is it worth that to make it easier to steer? All the cars I've had have had powersteering except for my old Datsun 120Y which was so light that it didn't need it.
Old 19-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
SK11TS
MCF Admin

View My Photo Gallery

do they tend to be a heavy car in the steering department? if so than go power i like the feel of non power steer but that just my preference

REAL MEN SMOKE RUBBER