join Modified Car Forums on FacebookModified Car Forums on Youtube
FAQ Members List Timeslips Arcade Games Conversion Calculators Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Modified Car Forums, an online Modified Car enthusiasts community with other like minded people who WON'T bash you for spending your hard earned $ on your pride and joy!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to

• post topics
  • private message other members (PM)
  • respond to polls
  • this message will no longer be displayed once you register.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Modified Car Forums Support Team.

Go Back   Modified Car Forums > Public Forums > Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
simbad
Team Manager

Ride: tow truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT-245 View Post
They do look like Pretty Serious Units,

But the McDonald Stuff has always rated Highly. Even with K-MAC

whatever you talk about always has something to do with food!
simpson, get your car together and take it to craft diffs 96371973 and ask RED nicely to adjust it for you! he will do it right the first time! plentyof hands on experience! one of the best diff shops on the planet! its peel street granville from memory! you can by a tool that can help you measure what you got and adjust to what you need! ask red! its all about finding the zero point then going negative what you need for that particular application! i have seen cars pick up a whole second from rear end adjustments! years ago i used to tow cars to terrys diffs and chassis for rear end tuneups! they are no longer unfortunately! reds the man!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
simpson
MCF Admin

Ride: FAT406

i will take it to someone when its back together just wanted to get a base to start with

I like the sounds of picking up a whole second with some rear end tunning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
FAT-245
Banned because i am a retard

Ride: Hey Charger...MY ASS!

@simbad - You ate just asmuch as me @ Harrys and yet you keep talking about how much i eat!

@Simpson - Good Choice! How long till its installed?
Old 29-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
IBADLH
Clutch Popper

Ride: kenworth T908 620 signature

if your car is still got rubber bushes on the top and bottom arms about 4 d is plenty and make sure the car is level and the driver is siting in the car as well take the reading off the yoke
Old 29-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
reece1
Learner Driver

Ride: xy bigblock

what would you guys reccomend for pinion angle setting for a xy leaf sprung rear end. can craft diffs take the whole car and set the diff up in place or does he just take the housings and your measurements
Old 30-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
greenhj
Newby

There is no "correct" angle due to the fact that top and bottom arms in typical factory 4 link cars are rarely the same length, so the arc they travel under power will be more/less depending on difference in radius between the top and bottom arms.

Also, since a uni joint RELIES on some angular difference to rotate the needle rollers, you need to have up to 2 degrees angular difference UNDER POWER.

A level trans yoke/driveshaft/pinion under power is a recipe for disaster.

I typically measure across the balancer for the engine tilt angle, then the driveshaft angle itself at the diff end, then the pinion and work out where the pinion needs to be to keep the angular difference, and not to exceed around 5 degrees ANYWHERE in the rotating drivetrain.

For automatic equipped cars i like to check it in DRIVE (which is fairly impractical and somewhat dangerous) because most cars will squat slightly in gear compared to neutral/park.

You may find occasionally that you need to shim the gearbox mount to keep the angles in spec and possibly clearance the strengthening rib under the car to get the appropriate position.

Im fairly pedantic about the way i set up "simple" things on the car so you may not find my method useful anyway, but ive had good success so thats how i do it.

Leaf sprung cars are really pushing **** uphill if you dont stop the spring windup first but youll find the "sloppier" your rear suspension is (this goes for both 4 link/leaf spring), and the more power you have, the more angle youll require.

A racecar is reasonably easy to work with compared to a streeter that sees plenty of miles with very little power applied and some hard launches because you need to compromise somewhere every time.

I wont make a recomendation on angles, but the general advice of neg 3 or 4 is pretty close for most applications unless youre a hard launcher with a real sloppy rear suspension or plenty of power.

Also, wether you have a bit of anti squat on launch will actually move your pinion further UP than something that squats on launch, looking like a dog with worms dragging its **** on the ground.

Last edited by greenhj; 30-06-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 30-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
sshatch355
Newby

Ride: lx ss hatch/hk premier/mk1gt

^^^^nice detailed post just what i was after
Old 31-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
greenhj
Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshatch355 View Post
^^^^nice detailed post just what i was after
never said it was right, and it may not be, im sure some smarterer person will poke holes lol, but it works for me.

Problem is, im almost at the point where "tweaks" arent making the car faster, so i need to spend money and i dont like that

edit: fark me, thats an old thread you dragged up!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dynoryder
Banned because i am a retard

Ride: vr commy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhj View Post
never said it was right, and it may not be, im sure some smarterer person will poke holes lol, but it works for me.

Problem is, im almost at the point where "tweaks" arent making the car faster, so i need to spend money and i dont like that

edit: fark me, thats an old thread you dragged up!

i can say something unis dont need angular differnce to work they can run fine without phases

infact if the tail shaft was operating in inline the whole time (never will happen) there would be no phases and no power loss in the tail shaft

but in the real world your post is pretty good
Old 28-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
mr roadster
Newby

Ride: 27 roadster

Hi guys
Pinion angle is relevant to trans output shaft angle ,if your trans is like most and runs downhill ie; negative 3 deg (measured from the end of the extension housing) then pinion angle will be set at the opposite angle ie;+3 deg ,output shaft and pinion run parallel to each other, normally anything between 2.5 and 3.5 degrees will be good